Sunday 21 April 2013

Tricycle on the Highway

Tonight, my plans got messed up. I drove home late hoping to make it in time to get a fitful rest and wake up ready for church and a plethora of activities the next day.

As I speedily headed along my little way, I was brought to a sudden halt. The highway was shut down and emergency vehicle lights littered the clear starry night. After the initial, "What is going on over there?" thoughts, my ongoing mindset was, "Man, I hope I won't be stuck here for long. I'm all by myself ... and it's dark ... and I don't want to spend the night in a hotel. I'm tired - will I be able to stay awake long enough to make it home after getting through this?"

I prayed and asked Jesus to get me past myself and know that these emergency vehicles were on the highway because someone's life had been altered. But it was a long wait and my thoughts would drift back and forth between exhaustion and frustration.

When the highway was cleared, I quickly woke myself back up to prepare for a tiresome journey home. But what I saw shattered my plans.

A tricycle on the highway. Between two demolished cars, tires and glass lay a small tricycle on its side. I think the image may be permanently etched inside me. I feel sick even thinking about it.

Someone, a person much like me, has had their life dramatically altered. What may have started as a family trip has ended in pain and most likely death. There is such finality to it. No parent to soothe their child's fears at night, no child to squeal with delight when their favourite person walks in the room ... within minutes all their plans and ideals were stolen.

"All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely the people are grass. " (Isa. 40:6-7)

God, don't let me keep playing this stupid game. There is life and there is death and when the end comes there is no second try or redos - that's it. Jesus, let my life be lived out in light of this - not scurrying around doing good activities and thoughtful things, but fully living the way You did - showing people what hope is while there is still a choice. Keep me from being the person who looked in the mirror saw what needed to be done, walked away and forgot - Jesus, don't let me just be words.

No comments:

Post a Comment