Tuesday 14 June 2011

Playoff Ponderings

Sometimes I think competition is the root of division.


Is it just me or has anyone else ever thought it? Take a minute and ponder it. You walk into work the morning after a game and the first thing that comes out of someone's mouth is, "Did you see the game last night." A second later, the room is full of people bashing one's "home" team and the other side defending. 
 
I know everyone says, "Don't take it personally." But I do...I always have. I am learning to separate other people's actions and my own feelings and reactions, but I will never be able to stop finding bashing another human-no matter who they happen to be- offensive. You offend me with your quick, witty, deathly criticisms. Though you may never meet these people you critique, you leave a foul taste in my mouth with your negativity over something that is meant to entertain us.... wait a second....

Did I say entertain? That's all these games are meant for? To entertain? I think somewhere in the mush, that's being forgotten. This game is becoming a deeper and deeper competition to prove we're worth just as much as you (if not more). No wonder players feel so much pressure from the fans.

Yesterday, I ran into some Jehovah's Witnesses. First off as a random side note, I've met few people as sweet and kind in a first meeting as those two. After giving me their schpeel and hearing my "I already chose to follow Jesus" response, they sincerely replied, "We don't need to change your mind, that's up to you. We see this as a matter of life and death though and that's why we are taking time out of our days to tell people like you. This is so important to us."


Switch back. What's important to me again? Proving my team (i.e. me) is just as good as yours?
 Maybe, my priorities need to get rearranged. If I'm serious about Jesus, maybe I should prove it. Maybe, just maybe, I can take talking about this God who rescues, delights and revolutionizes my life every single ridiculous day a little more seriously.

-ash

No comments:

Post a Comment